Do you know what love languages are? If you answered pizza and wine, you’re in good company, but we’re actually talking about the recently trending Love Languages!
The Five Love Languages are defined as:
- Words of Affirmation – This is about using words to build up your special someone. While this may look different for each person, it’s more about the meaning behind the words. Saying, “I’m here for what you need,” “How can I help you?” or even a simple, “Thanks for taking out the garbage.” This love language is about active voices, and not being passive-aggressive in your approach.
- Gifts – This is about a gift with meaning and intent, no matter how small. Find a gift that says, “He/she was thinking about me.” The love language here is about thoughtful gifts at unexpected times to show you were thinking about someone.
- Acts of Service – This love language is all about doing something for your partner that you know they would appreciate. This could look like making their favorite dinner, cleaning the house, or helping them with a project they are putting off.
- Quality Time – The gift of time is wonderful for both the giver and receiver. You can achieve this by giving your undivided attention to someone you care about. Simple things like binge-watching your favorite shows together, preparing a meal or taking a walk can mean a lot to those whose love language is Quality Time. Talking, listening, and spending personal time together is the key to this language.
- Physical Touch – Cuddle time is big for those who speak this language. Show your partner how much you care for them by holding hands, hugging, unexpected kisses on the cheek – any expression of love counts!
Each person has a primary love language, but you can connect with more than one. Do you know what your love language is? There are several simple online tests out there that are pretty eye opening. Pick a test to take with your partner and compare notes afterward. You might just learn something new about each other!